Diploma In Microfinance
This leads to the award of a Diploma in Microfinance of the Uganda Institute of Banking and Financial Services it’s the basic qualification for the majority of career Microfinance practitioners.
Graduates will acquire key skills set, putting them at the pinnacle of microfinance business management in the financial sector. Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the contribution of microfinance to improved livelihoods within the diverse communities in developing countries; Explore real-world examples of establishing multi-tier institutions and networks, building linkages with banks and other financial institutions and opportunities and challenges of structuring value-chain oriented finance products in community based models;
Design and apply appropriate tools to measure and manage social performance in the microfinance sector;
Critically evaluate microfinance projects and programs and develop solutions from moral, professional and academic perspectives;
Identify microfinance management and organisational problems, isolate critical factors, generate feasible alternatives and, after critical thinking and analysis, come up with the most appropriate and ethical solutions towards achievement of world developing goals.
- The minimum entry requirements include one of the following:
- A’ level Certificate with One principle pass, or the equivalent
- Diploma holders
- Mature Age entrants
- Degree holders
- Foreign students with
qualifications from recognised Institutions
Mode of delivery
The programme is to be delivered through on line- Instructor led & Self Study online
What will I study?
For the award of the Diploma in Microfinance one must pass the 16 papers listed below, including the internship/Business Project:-
- Management Information System
- Risk Management in Microfinance
- Financial Resource Mobilisation and Management
- Human Resource Management
- Marketing in Microfinance
- Business Environment for Microfinance
- Management and Organization in Microfinance
- Accounting and Financial Management
- Legal Framework of Microfinance Business
- Entrepreneurship and Investment
- Product Design & Development
- Rural & Agricultural Value Chain Financing Monitoring and Evaluation for Microfinance
- Credit Administration in Microfinance
- History and Trends in Microfinance
- Student’ Project/ Internship
Duration :2 years
- Online instructor- led: UGX 750,000 per semester
- Self-Study online: UGX 600,000 per semester.
- Functional fees: 225,000 per year
Starting Date: 13th February 2023
- Hard copies of application forms can be obtained from the Institute upon payment of an application fee of. UGX 20,000/= (Ugandan applicants) or UGX 100,000(international Applicants). OR can be downloaded from the section below. OR logon to www.sms.uibfs.or.ug and register then apply
- The completed application forms together with certified copies of academic certificates and transcripts, and two (2) letters of references should be submitted to the Institute.
When are the examinations held?
Examinations are held in the first two weeks of May and November each year.
What is the pass mark in the examination?
The pass mark in each paper shall be 50%.
Detailed information about the above programmes can be obtained from:
The Registrar’s Department
The Uganda Institute of Banking & Financial Services
Plot 10 Buganda Road
P.O. Box 4986 Kampala Tel:0414-36849 OR Gen. Line 0414-233628