Master of Arts In Financial Services Degree Programme
(Awarded by Makerere University, tenable at The Uganda Institute of Banking and Financial Services)
The Institute Registrar invites applications for admission to a two–year Master’s degree in Financial Services for the Academic year 2019/2020.
Mode of delivery
The programme is to be delivered through an evening study mode. Lectures will be held from Monday to Friday from 6.00 pm to 9.00 pm
The Masters of Arts in Financial Services (MFS) is a Programme of Makerere University offered in collaboration with the Uganda Institute of Banking and Financial Services. It is aimed at graduates seeking to work in investment or commercial banking, in a range of specialized financial institutions, stockbroking and dealing agencies or insurance companies. It will provide a strong qualifications and skills to allow individuals to work with pension funds, investment funds and in effect any kind of investment. It is intended especially for those who have acquired field experience in private sector, banking and financial institutions. The Programme is also well suited for fresh graduates wishing to acquire a postgraduate qualification for a career in financial services.
The Masters of Arts in Financial Services (MFS) Programme will focus on strategic issues in banking, microfinance, securities and capital markets and will examine the impact of global financial management including information technology (IT) on the business environment. For people in management positions, this Programme will provide an understanding of management in a financial services environment, including strategy formulation and implementation as well as contemporary issues facing the industry.
- Managerial Economics
- Legal Aspects of Financial Services
- Financial Markets and Institutions
- Quantitative Techniques for Finance
- Business Finance
- International Business and Finance
- Financial Services Marketing
- Business Research Methods
- Investment Analysis and Portfolio Management
- Business Analysis and Valuation
- Corporate Governance and Ethics
- Corporate Governance and Ethics
- Commercial and Investment Banking
- Strategic Management
- Risk Management
- Microfinance Services
- Research Project
- Human Resources Management
- Islamic and Development Finance
- Insurance Services
- Financial Derivatives
- Digital Finance and Agency Banking
Applicants to the M.A. in Financial Services must meet the minimum requirement for admission to the programme set by National Council for higher Education (NCHE) and Makerere University. Specifically, applicants should possess at least one of the following requirements:
- At least a lower second class first degree in Finance, Accounting, Economics, Statistics or a degree with a strong quantitative bias.
- A holder of a first degree and a postgraduate Diploma in Accounting, Finance, Economics or Banking from a recognized Institution.
- At least a lower second class first degree with at least three (3) years consecutive working experience in Financial and Banking institutions services industry.
- A recognized professional qualification such as CFA, ACCA, CPA, and CIMA Course
- Ugandan students: UGX 5,000,000 per year
- International students: UGX 7,000,000 per year
Others Charges applicable to the Masters Programme
|(a) Contribution to NCHE (New Applicant)||20,000/=|
|(b) Membership fee(student registration & ID)||25,000/= (New applicants)|
|(c) Membership fee (Annual subscription)||50,000/=|
|(d) Technology Fee||80,000/=|
|(e) Functional fees||625,000/=|
|(f) Affiliation Fee||20,000/=|
(g) Endowment fee 10,000/=
- Hard copies of application forms are obtained from the Institute Registrar after payment of an application fee of UGX 50,000/= (Ugandan applicants) or UGX 151,500 (international Applicants) to the Finance office, UIBFS
- The completed application forms together with certified copies of academic certificates and transcripts, and the letters of references should be submitted to the institute in designated time before the beginning of a new Academic year.
- Deadline for submission of application forms : 31st March 2019
Detailed information about the above programmes can be obtained from:
The Registrar’s Department
The Uganda Institute of Banking & Financial Services
Plot 10 Buganda Road
P.O. Box 4986 Kampala Tel:0414-36849 OR Gen. Line 0414-233628