- Terms of Reference –
|1||Tittle||Microfinance Apprenticeship Program Coordinator|
|3||Assumption of duty||Immediate|
|5||Reporting Line||CEO – UIBFS|
The Government of Uganda’s Vision 2040 provides development paths and strategies to operationalize Uganda’s Vision statement which is “A Transformed Ugandan Society from a Peasant to a Modern and Prosperous Country within 30 years” as approved by Cabinet in 2007. It aims at transforming Uganda from a peasant and low-income country to a competitive upper-middle-income country. There is a comprehensive framework of different strategies that outline the path to realize this vision. Among others, a vital and sustainable microfinance sector that fosters financial inclusion is considered a key driver for the socio-economic development of Uganda. Therefore, German Sparkassenstiftung – Uganda (DSIK) decided to partner with the Uganda Institute of Banking and Financial Services (UIBFS) and participate in the realization of GOU’s vision.
DSIK – German Sparkassenstiftung Eastern Africa
German Sparkassenstiftung Eastern Africa – Uganda (DSIK) is a German non-profit organization that is registered as an international non-governmental organization in Uganda. DSIK’s thematic areas of operation are Financial Literacy, Capacity Development, MSME Finance, Institution Building, Rural Development, and Green Finance.
UIBFS – Uganda Institute of Banking and Financial Services
The Uganda Institute of Banking and Financial Services (UIBFS) was established in 1990 as the training and certification body for the banking and financial services industry in Uganda. The Institute‘s training programs cover four areas, namely; Professional, Short & Executive, Specialised and Post Graduate Courses and It is a body responsible for the provision of professional training for the financial sector in Uganda.
Dual System – Microfinance Apprenticeship Program
The core element of the dual system is the combination of practical training in companies/MFIs (training on the job), and theoretical, but practice-oriented lessons in vocational or specialized Training institutions. The training overall plan is to ensure that the practical training and the curriculum governing the lessons in the training institution are harmonized, hence the apprentices always acquire theoretical knowledge and practical skills in one field/ subject at the same time in the company and at the Training Centre.
It is against this background that German Sparkassenstiftung Eastern Africa (DSIK) and UIBFS partnered together to jointly roll out the Dual Apprenticeship System for the microfinance sector in Uganda. As a measure to support the Microfinance Apprenticeship Programme (MAP) rollout, UIBFS seeks to recruit a competent MAP – Coordinator who will oversee the strategic implementation of the Programme.
The selected coordinator serves as the focal point person between UIBFS, DSIK, and Micro-finance Institutions to ensure a smooth roll-out of the Dual System Program for Uganda. He will ensure the quality assurance of the day-to-day activities including guiding the trainers and supervisors, as well as the assessment of students.
(c) Scope of work and expected outputs
- Preparation of the MAP: Identification of MFIs to participate in the MAP & respective MFI (Microfinance institutions) Supervisors, Development of an engagement strategy, Identification of Competent Trainers to participate in the MAP Training, conduction of TOTs for Supervisors and Trainers including documents such as MoU between MFIs and UIBFS
- Develop final MAP Pricing Details: Appropriate cohort size, price per cohort, trainers & supervisor costs
- Develop and Implement a structured approach to the marketing of the MAP
- Start on the MAP accreditation Process
- The rollout of the MAP: Orientation event for the selected apprentices about the Training Methodology, continuous supervision and guidance of Supervisors and Trainers, quality control of training as well as the satisfaction of trainees, preparing and conduction assessment of students with the support of teachers and supervisors.
- Meets frequently with the apprenticeship committees and regulators of Apprenticeships in Uganda
- Establishes and maintains an ongoing survey of business and industry training needs for the Microfinance Sector
(e) Timeframe and deadlines:
The position as coordinator starts as soon as possible. The contract ends on the 30th of September with a possibility of extension.
The coordinator is attached to the UIBFS and supervised by UIBFS with constant engagements with DSIK. The coordinator will share the progress of activities under this contract and certifying that the works, tasks, assignment have been satisfactorily performed by all the participating Microfinance Institutions (MFIs)
- Qualifications & Required experience
- A graduate or equivalent qualification in Micro-Finance, Accounting, and Finance, Business Studies with Education or any other relevant discipline related to Education & Training.
- Work experience in the field of training standards, Curriculum development, micro-finance sector, and Education & Training Management and relevant professional training in the field of Microfinance will be an added advantage.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience in implementing vocational training programs, as well as supervising trainers, conducting assessments of students.
- Relevant experience of management of an Education or Training Institution is an added advantage, monitoring of training programs & students will be an added advantage.
- Excellent writing, editing, and oral communication skills in English.
- Marketing skills
- Documents included applying for the position
While submitting the application, the Applicant shall ensure to attach the following:
- Motivation Letter (max 1 page) explaining why they are the most suitable for the work.
- Recent CV
- Copies of academic documents
- Contact and Deadline
- All the relevant documents should be submitted by e-mail to the following address:
- Deadline for the submission of applications: – 9th June 2021