Chartered Banker Program Offering
The Chartered Banker program leads to the award of the Chartered Banker qualification of the Uganda Institute of banking & Financial Services. The Chartered banker, formerly the Certified Professional Banker (Diploma in Banking) has been revised to three (3) levels.
Structure of the Chartered Banker Program
- Three stage progressive structure: Professional, executive and chartered (planned to be linked to an MBA)
- Leads to award of Chartered Banker
- Varied entry requirements depending on students’ background
- Three year duration, broken into two semesters per level
What is New?
- New content e.g. digital banking, risk & compliance, Islamic finance, agent banking etc..
- Combines global standards and local context
- Multi-level structure & entry routes.
- Greater practical content – project and case study approach embedded at all levels.
- Extensive CPD structure.
- Strong emphasis on ethics.
- Futuristic – treatment of emerging issues
- Exemptions and credit transfer
Why the Chartered Banker Qualification?
- Enhance competence and competitiveness.
- Professional recognition.
- Mobility / cross border recognition.
- First Route
- Bachelor’s Degree in relevant disciplines (Eligible for exemptions)
- Professional qualifications (CPA, ACCA, CIMA, CIPS, CPB) – (Eligible for exemptions)
- Master’s degree (Eligible for exemptions) and :
- Second Route
- Diploma – (No exemptions)
- A.C.E with 2 Principal Passes (No exemptions) What will I study?
- Level 1 – Professional Banker
- Financial Systems and Regulatory Frameworks
- Banking Professional Ethics
- Law Relating to Financial Services
- Banking Operations
- Financial Reporting and Analysis
- Marketing of Financial Services Economics of Banking
- Human Resource Management
Duration: 2 Semesters
- Level 2 – Executive Banker Corporate & Retail Lending
- Bank Management and Financial Analysis
- International Banking & Trade Finance
- Risk & Compliance
- Customer Relationship Management
- Agency & Digital Banking
Duration: 2 semesters
- Level 3 – Chartered Banker
(a) Compulsory Papers (2)
- Contemporary Issues in Banking
- Corporate Governance & Strategy
(b) Elective Papers (Any two)
- Lending Specialization
- Commercial & Investment Banking
- Risk & Compliance
Duration: 2 semesters
Evening Classes and E-Learning Classes
The evening classes are conducted from 6.00pm to 9.00pm
E-Learning Classes with online Tutors are conducted at one’s convenience
What is the pass mark in the examination?
The pass mark in each paper shall be 50%.
When do studies begin for level 1 (Professional Banker)?
The semester begins on 28th January 2019 to 3rd May 2019 and July to November semester begins on 22nd July to 2nd November 2019.
When do studies begin for level 2 (Executive Banker)?
The semester begins on 22nd July 2019 to 2nd November 2019.
When are the examinations held?
Examinations are held in the first two weeks of May and November each year.
Tuition Fees Per Semester
(Tuition & Examination fees 2019) per module/Subject
|Courses||Tuition Evening||Tuition Blended||Tuition
|1.||Level 1: – Professional Banker||350,000||300,000||250,000||85,000||300,000|
|2.||Level 2: – Executive Banker||500,000||400,000||350,000||120,000||–|
|3.||Level 3: – Chartered Banker||800,000||700,000||600,000||300,000||–|
- Tuition is charged per module/subject. Each Semester, 4 modules are conducted in the Evening Study classes. You can take a minimum of 1 module per semester up to a maximum of 4 modules/subjects per semester.
- Exemption/Credit Transfer cases shall be handled on a case by case basis upon presentation of relevant qualifications. Functional Fees
|(i) Identity Card||10,000|
|(ii) Membership fee||65,000|
|(iii) Technology fee||45,000|
|(iv) NCHE fee||20,000|
|(v) Internship (Level 1)||200,000|
|(vi) Application Fee||20,000|
Methods of Payment:
- Bank Drafts should be made in favour of “THE UGANDA INSTITUTE OF BANKING AND FINANCIAL SERVICES”
- Bank slips
How do I apply?
By filling in the application form and returning it to: The Uganda Institute of Banking and Financial Services Plot 10, Buganda Road, P.O. Box 4986, Kampala.
Tel. 0414-233628/0414236849/0772-467127 Fax. 0414-234259
E-mail: email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
Detailed information about the above programmes can be obtained from:
The Registrar’s Department
The Uganda Institute of Banking & Financial Services
Plot 10 Buganda Road
P.O. Box 4986 Kampala Tel:0414-36849 OR Gen. Line 0414-233628