1. CHARTERED BANKER PROGRAM
The Chartered Banker program leads to the award of the Chartered Banker qualification of the Uganda Institute of Banking & Financial Services.
About the Chartered Banker Program:
- A premier Professional Qualification for bankers around the world
- A traditional gateway for professional recognition as Associate or Fellow
- Initially developed to provide the fundamentals of banking and largely unchanged over the last 25 years
- Has recently undergone significant review to bring it in line with contemporary developments and standards
Individuals seeking to develop a professional banking / financial services career including bank staff at all levels entry-level, mid-level branch managers, specialists in Risk and Compliance, Corporate & Retail Lending, International Banking & Trade Finance, Customer Relationship Management, etc… EXCO members, & Head of functions, Board members in financial institutions, persons wishing to develop Banking and Financial services skills and/ or progression to a postgraduate qualification in Business Administration.
Learning outcomes and Benefits
The Chartered Banker program will provide Graduates with an extensive, detailed, and critical knowledge of the banking sector. Upon completion of the program, graduates will demonstrate a sound understanding of the financial services industry and develop skills and abilities to make professional judgments and informed decisions in relevant work situations. A team of experienced bankers will provide you with in-depth and practical training with case studies at every level of training.
Chartered Banker Level 1: Professional Banker graduates will be equipped with a firm foundation of technical banking, how banking and financial services operate, and provide initiation into career progression aspirations.
Chartered Banker Level 11: Executive Banker graduates will be equipped with Bank Management skills, critical understanding of the banking sector to develop skills to make professional judgments and informed decisions in work situations.
Chartered Banker Level 111: Graduate will be equipped with strategic level analytical skills that impact on global financial challenges, data revolution, regulatory and technological changes, corporate social responsibility; corporate governance and strategy; competitive threats to Banks, and the shape of the Bank to come.
Why the Chartered Banker Qualification?
- Enhance competence and competitiveness.
- Professional recognition.
- Mobility / cross border recognition.
(i) First Route
- Bachelor’s Degree in relevant disciplines (Eligible for exemptions) OR
Professional qualifications (CPA, ACCA, CIMA, CIPS, CPB) – (Eligible for exemptions) OR
Master’s degree (Eligible for exemptions) OR
(ii) Second Route
- Diploma OR U.A.C.E with 2 Principal Passes (No exemptions)
What will I study?
- Financial Systems and Regulatory Framework
- Banking Professional Ethics
- Law Relating to Financial Services
- Banking Operations
- Lending Fundamentals
- Information Technology
- Financial Reporting & Analysis
- Marketing of Financial Services
- Economics of Banking
- Human Resource Management
- Financial Markets & Products
- Financial Sector Intern
- International Banking & Trade Finance
- Risk & Compliance
- Customer Relationship Management
- Agricultural Finance
- Treasury Management
- Corporate & Retail Lending
- Bank Management
- Agency & Digital Banking
- Financial Analysis
- Business Project
- Contemporary Issues in Banking
- Mergers, acquisitions, and Restructuring
- Corporate Governance
- Lending Specialization
- Commercial & Investment Banking specialization
- Risk & Compliance specialization
- Corporate Banking Specialization
- Financial Management and Control
- Organization Leadership and Change
Evening Classes and E-Learning Classes
The evening classes are conducted from 6.00 pm to 9.00 pm
E-Learning Classes with online Tutors are conducted at one’s convenience
What is the pass mark in the examination?
The pass mark in each paper shall be 50%.
Duration and Tuition Fees Per Semester
Duration: Each level: 1 year (a minimum 1 subject to Maximum 6 subjects per semester)
- Online instructor-led or Evening study: UGX 300,000 per subject covering Tuition & Exams OR the Total cost for 6 subjects: UGX 1,800,000 per semester
- Self-Study online: UGX 185,000 per subject OR the Total cost for 6 subjects: UGX 1,110,000 per semester.
- Functional Fees: 390,000 per year
Starting Date: 27th January 2021
- Fees are charged per module/subject. Each Semester, 4 modules are conducted in the Evening Study classes. You can take a minimum of 1 module per semester up to a maximum of 4 modules/subjects per semester.
- Exemption/Credit Transfer cases shall be handled on a case by case basis upon presentation of relevant qualifications.
- Identity Card 10,000
- Membership fee 65,000
- Technology fee 45,000
- NCHE fee 20,000
- Internship (Level 1) 200,000*applicable to non-bank students
- Application Fee 50,000
How do I apply?
By filling in the application form and returning it to: The Uganda Institute of Banking and Financial Services Plot 10, Buganda Road, P.O. Box 4986, Kampala.
Tel. 0414-233628/0414236849/0772-467127 Fax. 0414-234259
E-mail: email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
Detailed information about the above programmes can be obtained from:
The Registrar’s Department
The Uganda Institute of Banking & Financial Services
Plot 10 Buganda Road
P.O. Box 4986 Kampala Tel:0414-36849 OR Gen. Line 0414-233628